Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-Hollywood actors strike is over as union reaches tentative deal with studios -Capitatum
NovaQuant-Hollywood actors strike is over as union reaches tentative deal with studios
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:12:38
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Hollywood’s actors union reached a tentative deal with studios Wednesday to end its strike,NovaQuant bringing a close to months of labor strife that ground the entertainment industry to a historic halt.
The three-year contract agreement must be approved by votes from the union’s board and its members in the coming days, but the leadership declared that the strike will end at 12:01 a.m. on Thursday.
More than 60,000 members of the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Performers went on strike July 14, joining screenwriters who had walked off the job more than two months earlier. It was the first time the two unions had been on strike together since 1960. Studios chose to negotiate with the writers first, striking a deal that their leadership marked as a major win and bringing their strike to an end on Sept. 26.
The terms of the agreement were not immediately released. SAG-AFTRA said details would be made public after a meeting on Friday where board members review the contract. Issues on the table included both short-term compensation and future royalty payments for film and TV performances, along with control over actors’ images and likenesses regenerated with artificial intelligence.
Executives from top entertainment companies including Disney, Netflix, Warner Bros. Discovery and Universal had a direct hand in negotiations, which like all Hollywood union talks were led by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers.
Although the writers strike had immediate, visible effects for viewers, including the months-long suspension of late-night talk shows and “ Saturday Night Live,” the impact of the actors’ absence was not as immediately apparent. But its ripple effects — delayed release dates and waits for new show seasons — could be felt for months or even years.
Actors should quickly return to movie sets where productions were paused, including “Deadpool 3,” “Gladiator 2” and “Wicked.” Other movies and shows will restart shooting once returning writers finish scripts.
And beyond scripted productions, the end of the strike allows actors to return to red carpets, talk shows and podcasts, as Hollywood’s awards season approaches.
“The SAG strike is over!! I can finally say it: watch my documentary Saturday night at 8 on HBO/MAX!” actor-director Albert Brooks said on social media moments after the strike ended. “Couldn’t say a word until now!!”
The only major awards show directly effected by the strike was the Emmys, which was moved from September to January. Now, the usual fall Oscar campaigns will mobilize.
But any feeling of industry normalcy could prove temporary. The circumstances that brought on the strikes — the shift from traditional theatrical and broadcast media to streaming, and emerging tech like AI — have not been slowed. And the gains made by the strikes may embolden other Hollywood unions, or these same guilds in negotiations that will come up again in just a few years.
Union leaders treated the strike like a watershed moment from the start, coming as it did amid wider labor fights in other industries.
“I think it’s a conversation now about the culture of big business, and how it treats everybody up and down the ladder in the name of profit,” SAG-AFTRA President and “The Nanny” star Fran Drescher told The Associated Press in an August interview.
Duncan Crabtree-Ireland, the executive director and chief negotiator who led the team that struck the deal for the guild, told the AP in August that he was “honored to be part of making sure that our members get a fair contract that’s going to protect them going into the future and make sure that the 14-year-olds I talked to on the Disney picket line still have the ability to be an actor when they turn 18.”
The agreement also means a return to sets for thousands of film crew members who have left with nothing to work on during the strikes. SAG-AFTRA sought to offset their hardship by allowing sometimes controversial interim agreements for some smaller productions to proceed, and by making their strike relief fund available to all workers in the industry.
___
Associated Press Writer Krysta Fauria contributed to this report.
___
For more coverage of the actors and writers strike, visit: https://apnews.com/hub/hollywood-strikes/
veryGood! (3547)
Related
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- Clark leads Iowa back to the Final Four. Undefeated South Carolina will be there, too
- Cute Festival Tops To Wear at Coachella & Stagecoach That’ll Help You Beat the Heat
- 2 dead in Truckee, California plane crash: NTSB, FAA investigating cause
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Florida had more books challenged for removal than any other state in 2023, library organization says
- Nicholas Hoult and Son Joaquin Make Their First Public Appearance Together
- Too Hot to Handle's Francesca Farago Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby With Jesse Sullivan
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Ohio law banning nearly all abortions now invalid after referendum, attorney general says
Ranking
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Freight railroads must keep 2-person crews, according to new federal rule
- Bird flu has hit U.S. dairy cattle for the first time. Here's what it means for milk supply.
- Stock market today: Asia markets are mixed after Wall Street’s strong manufacturing data
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- 2 dead in Truckee, California plane crash: NTSB, FAA investigating cause
- Beyoncé stuns in all black Western wear at iHeartRadio Music Awards: See the photos
- The solar eclipse may change some voting registration deadlines in Indiana. Here’s what to know
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Sean “Diddy” Combs Celebrates Easter With Daughter Love in First Message After Raids
Billie Eilish Reacts to Backlash After Comments About Artists Releasing Wasteful Vinyls
Julia Fox Debuts Velveeta-Inspired Hair in Head-Turning Transformation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Vermont advances bill requiring fossil fuel companies pay for damage caused by climate change
Uvalde mayor abruptly resigns, citing health concerns, ahead of City Council meeting
United asks pilots to take unpaid leave amid Boeing aircraft shipment delays